Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hot Pots and Haute Cuisine

That's it. That's going to be the title of whatever it is I write this coming term. Now all I have to do is write it. I'm not sure if it will be a "memoir" per se, because my life isn't all that interesting. Reichl's book was a memoir and at first I thought it was about a person that wasn't all that unique but, damn, a lot happened there. My life isn't all that dramatic, although I make things seem that way.

For those who don't cook New York is quite a food-filled paradise. I was in Fairway today and it was like the gates of hell had opened and in entered the three-piece suities of the Upper West Side, the stay at home moms of the Trump Plaza, and everyone else who doesn't order Fresh Direct. The salad bar was uber gourmet (pasta with mozzarella, wild rice salad, grilled portobellos), the bread looked fresher than ever, and the fish had extremely clear eyes. And despite my slightly sour hummus it was worth it. The no-frills Fairway is one of the biggest things that I will miss about New York.

My dear friend Kayla (who I am convinced is reading this blog) is in London right drinking TEA and eating scones. TEA. This is the same girl who will drink a dozen shots of espresso over the course of the day. But coffee is expensive in England despite Italy and France being the purveyors they are of gourmet caf(f)e. In honor of the ex-patriot herself, here is a recipe for some scones:

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup cream
1 egg
Handful dried currants or dried cranberries
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix well. Cut in butter and shortening. In a separate bowl, combine cream with beaten egg then add to dry ingredients. Stir in fruit. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough out and cut into biscuit size rounds. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.

1 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Wapping's Darling said...

I LOVE YOU!!! But where's the vegan, dairy-free scone recipe, huh? Way to be sensitive to people's special needs, Tamar! You also need to add that you cannot eat scones without double cream, thick as possible and loads of it.

I must admit I am having coffee occassionally, but only if it's because I want to sit in a shop (I can't get away with the whole life cafe have a tea and don't pay bit). But other than that, it's tea and diet coke. diet coke. dietcoke. she said...

ok, stop.

you are the absolute best and I miss you so much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home