Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I Love the T-Dot



I've now been in Toronto (well, Markham) for two days... and it's been fabulous. It's definitely my favorite city, but I had forgotten exactly WHY I want to live here so badly next year. Now I'm here and I remember. It's amazing.

The flight to Toronto was relatively seamless. The flight to Montreal was only slightly delayed (about 1/2 an hour) and customs was done there so instead of waiting at the gate for 3 hours I had to wait only about an hour and a half. And the Toronto flight was on time so I got to Pierson by 4:30pm. At LaGuardia I knit a hat while waiting at the gate, and at the Montreal gate I knit an armwarmer. While waiting at the gate in Montreal I spoke to a lady going to Winnepeg (I asked her if that was in Alberta; I'm dumb, it's in Manitoba). When I said that I was from New York she asked me if I had been to Times Square the night before. Then we talked about how expensive New York is, etcetera. Very friendly.

Very friendly is the best way to describe the bulk of Canadians. Which is why I love Toronto.

On Sunday we didn't do much, since I was really tired. Driving from the airport to Markham (a northern suburb of Toronto) I noticed that all of the campaign posters are back up on account of the recall election that will be happening soon. We watched G-Spot which is the Canadian "Sex in the City." Then I fell asleep.

Yesterday was another lazy day although Jon, his brother & I went to East Side Marios. It's an "American Italian Eatery" and the interior is supposed to look like Little Italy. It's sort of like Olive Garden in the sense that it's a chain; the best is the Liberty spikes on the exterior and the "Mulberry & Canal" intersection street sign by the hostess. Their advertisements for take out go like "You can call our numerical phone number (877)376-5252 or our fun musical number (877)ESM-LALA." Every takeout/delivery place has a jingle. Pizza Hut, Pizza Pizza, Pizza Nova, you get it.

Later last night we also met up with our TCD friend, Schachter, who is absolutely awesome. We had some Second Cup, which is the Starbucks of the North, and we drove around the city listening to the soundracks of Fiddler on the Roof and The Life (which had been my Chanukah present to him, since he saw it when he came to New York at age 12 - it's about Prostitutes). We had a really good time. He also bought a digital camera recently with great night photography so he could take pictures of gaudy Christmas decorations.

Talking about Christmas I got some awesome presents, including a gift certificate to LUSH, Martha Stewart's Baking handbook which I can't wait to use, a silicone baking sheet, a really cool measuring cup contraption, and an Elmo Knows Your Name toy which they programmed to be HILARIOUS.

This week is going to be fantastic!

In honor of our trip to the American Italian Eatery I'm leaving you with my "Sauteed Mozzarella Alla Caprese" Bruschetta recipe.

Sauteed Mozzarella Alla Caprese
I first made this dish in 9th grade to accompany my International Foods paper on Italian Cuisine. It was from Molto Mario, the Food Network show, but I haven't been able to find the recipe since and I've altered it so much that it bears no semblance to the original creation. Nonetheless it is really tasty and will impress.

1 lb. fresh mozzarella
2 eggs, scrambled
1/2 c. - 1 c. flour
1 c. bread crumbs
Olive Oil
3 plum tomatoes (or any tomatoes), cored, pitted and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
a few sprigs of basil, minced (optional)
Baguette, sliced into thin rounds

Take the slices of Baguette and place them onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly toasted (about 5 minutes). Slice the mozzarella and dredge it into the flour, followed by dipping it into the eggs and then coating it in the breadcrumbs (you can do this assembly line style). Heat a saute pan and add about a tablespoon full of olive oil - just to barely coat the bottom of the pan since you'll need to do this every time you add more cheese. Add a layer of the breaded mozzarella and flip when the bottom is cooked. It will take about 1-2 minutes on each side. When you're done cooking all of the Mozzarella you can assemble them on top of the rounds of baguette. In the same saute pan that you used (which will still have some stray bread crumbs), add the tomatoes, garlic and basil and cook until tender and hot. Spoon on top of the baguette and serve. It's "delish!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home