Sunday, January 01, 2006

It's Gonna Be A Happy New Year!

It's after midnight. In the next 24 hours I will enter the borough of Queens, land in Montreal and chill there for 3 hours, land in Toronto, and then drive to Markham, Ontario. And I'm excited for the next week. Since I figured that after waking up at 7am to get ready to leave to Laguardia and then spending the next 9 hours between bus, plane, and car I should post now.

I have never been a big fan of New Year's. I can still remember how I rang in the past several years:
2000 - rang in the New Millennium by laying on the couch, drugged up on painkillers and eating ices with my brother because my parents thought that Winter Break would be the best time for us to get our addenoids out
2001 - i went to the movies with my family.
2002 - at home, on the couch. didn't stay awake until midnight.
2003 - freshman year of college and i think i watched it on tv, if that.
2004 - babysitting a baby that i never saw on the upper west side.
2005 - in my boyfriends' family's living room with him and his grandm
other (who was probably asleep at the time); drinking mike's hard lemonade and watching what was going on in the nathan phillips square.
2006 - with my computer on
my lap. i realized that it was midnight when emeril came on the air.

This is not supposed to be depressing, by any means. I could have gone to Times Square if I wanted. But I don't see what the big deal is with New Year's. I went to the Heights to pick up something to eat for dinner tonight, because everything (including the grocery store) was closed. There were so many more Columbia students out than in the past week and a half, namely because everyone who goes here lives in the tri-state area and where
better to get drunk with friends? The homeless on the streets were taking handouts of vodka and tequila, freshman and seniors alike were hobbling along as drunkards do. And it was 9:30pm. Pregaming anyone? Don't get me wrong - I have no intent to judge. Except that I am now the only person in my entire family to have never gotten drunk. I turned 21 on September 28 and since "becoming legal" I have consumed 1 serving of alcohol (a shot of Svedka on September 30). The amount of drinks that I had prior to that can be counted between my hands and feet and maybe not even all four appendages. How should I fix this? Get drunk, once, before graduation.

2006 seems scary. It will be the year that I take part in my first graduation s
ince kindergarten. It will be the year that the first close group of friends that I have had will become separated. It will mark the year that I must decide between the real world or putting off the real world another 2 years. It will mark my 22nd birthday, which makes me feel old. Because 18 means that you can buy cigs and lotto tickets, 19 is the last year of being a teen, 20 is your first non-teen birthday, and 21 means you're legal. 22 is the first non-special birthday. Scary. But why think about this now? In less than 24 hours I will be in my favorite city in the world (and my favorite suburb of that city).

I uploaded some pictures using the digital camera. The first one is of the West Philly shirt that I got made for my b
oyfriend's brother and that I referenced in my first blog. I went to Neighborhoodies to get it done, you can also order your own custom shirt online at www.neighborhoodies.com (what a shameless plug). The second one is the scarf, armwarmers and hat that I knitted for my friend. She's going to be abroad in London next semester and I will be sending her an AWESOME care package in February with Without You (the memoir) and the DVD of RENT. And these little knitted accessories so she can look so "fetch" in London.

In honor of said friend I am leaving you all off on this wonderful first day of 2006 with one of her favorite desserts. It is vegan blueberry cobbler. It dates back to a really bad "you had to be there moment" type joke that I will not get into at said time. But to end this on a vulgar note - it apparently goes well with a side of... okay, I'm not going to end this... it also goes well with lemon sorbet. Enjoy!



Vegan Blueberry Cobbler
2 c. blueberrie
s
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. cornstarch
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. Silk creamer (soy milk creamer)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray an 8 inch pie pan with cooking spray (or use some sort of shortening to grease it up).

Toss together the blueberries, lemon zest, cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice. Put in the bottom of the pie pan. Sift together the flour & baking powder (and a pinch of salt) and add the creamer. You can drop the dough into mounds or moisten it a little more and pour it uniformly over the blueberries.

Bake it about 25 minutes until the dough on top is golden brown.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home